Thursday 23 March 2017

On Tiempo, Banff and Rome. And others


Time crystals! Wow, that is indeed fascinating. I should give it some thought.

Well, let’s say that here at the Banff Centre the breath taking environment leads one to consider the practice of drawing and mark making in a more holistic manner if that makes sense. One fascinating element is how the sky and the mountains merge (because of the clouds and the snow in the peaks).
 (Still from a video)

I have been tracking the weather (metaphorically speaking) and decided on three colors that seem to represent the place (very much like I was doing in the Slowtrack project but even more so in the pieces I was working on in Rome, where I tried to figure out the colors that represent the city, whether it is a vertical or horizontal place, and also what type of mark making would be adequate (turns out that I needed and interrupted line)).



So, as I was saying, I started making barely visible drawings and movies that wouldn't move. The form of mark making here is dictated by the trees, which dominate the landscape and make it distinct. 




I am now trying to come up with some measuring devices. Stay tuned!






1 comment:

  1. Laura, the drawings are uncannily made alive by the mountains. I am wondering what the relationship is--have you made the mountains in some way? Are you their readers or are they yours? A mutuality of response. A question: can't the act of the drawing of the mountain be a passing of time, and thus the mountain its mark? The mark of time as the work of art, and its continuing existence (though how to document the moment after it is made, the marking rendered by the gaze of the viewer (me) as next part of the marking of time, I do not know).

    It makes me think of the word "transfer" which you sometimes use in your work. What is being transferred onto what or whom?
    What would a time transfer look like--this? The time of the ancient mountains into your making of a mountain.

    But basically: the drawing itself as the marker of time itself, in two parts: the time of its making, and the continued time of its existence (alas, as you wonder, as yet unmeasurable).

    I am sitting next to a sleeping child. I do not know how to mark that time except by the sound of breath but I am its only recorder/marker of time.

    A motionless motion picture: a photograph?

    ReplyDelete